MAKE $30/HR TAX-FREE
ONLY PLEBS AND MORONS COME TO TAIWAN TO TEACH ENGLISH SOLELY INSIDE THE CRAM SCHOOLS. DO THIS AND YOU WILL BE POOR FOREVER. A TRUE TAIPEI DRAGON KNOWS HOW TO MILK THE PRIVATE CLASSES FOR ALL THEY'RE WORTH.
💰 BUSINESS: SLANG THAT CONVERSATION
Private teaching lessons are the only way to get ahead in Taipei. You need to hit the ground and build your list of clientele as soon as you can. The work unstable and disorganized but pays extraordinarily well. Get the world out to your Taiwanese friends that you'll do private lessons for everyone and anyone at first, then slowly find your niche. You'll be best suited to take on mostly 'conversation classes' that require very little prep work.
⚠️ WARNING: THIS IS ILLEGAL
Many cram schools stipulate in your contract that you're not allowed to take on private classes. Further, if you get reported and caught you can get in trouble. Nonetheless, literally every teacher in Taiwan has done private lessons at some point. You just have to be smart. Don't exchange money out in the open or let the wrong people know what you're up to.
📈 STEPS TO SUCCESS
- Everyone in Taiwan uses an app called LINE. Download this app and start building contacts.
- Once you find a potential client, negotiate a good rate. Most cram schools charge students around $1200NTD per hour for your classes. So a good starting rate is $800NTD. You're earning more and they're paying less at this rate. But many teachers charge up to $1000NTD ($34 USD) per hour.
- Find a coffee shop, McDonald's, or quiet restaurant to hold your classes. Change up the location every 3 months or to avoid the heat.
- Ask your students to pay you with an envelope under the books or study material. Always take cash.
- Word of mouth is by far the best method of obtaining clients. But putting up flyers around town works as well.
- Students come and go with quite frequency. You may only have 2-5 students who are consistent. This is just part of the gig.
LINE For Business
This is a simple yet powerful tool that you can use to advertise and manage your private students. You can send updates or keep them engaged, and they can reply to you privately.
Taipei Times Newspaper
Many of your private students simply want to practice conversation. But without any material to go off things can get pretty dry quite quickly. I recommend picking The Taipei Times from Family Mart before heading off to class.
Nat Geo Kids
This is perfect material for kids. It's easy to teach and you won't get too bored either. You can mine their website (kids.nationalgeographic.com) for endless content.
ENGLISH TEACHERS ANONYMOUS
We meet every Thursday to discuss the horrors and trauma of horrible cram school companies, psychotic parents, and shitty buildings in Taiwan!
BRESS ENGLISH SCHOOL
We specialize in putting naive English teachers through our meat grinder and spitting them out back to their home countries wishing they never came to Taiwan! Apply today!